Contractor Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WEEDEATER, Aug 28, 2002.

1. WEEDEATER

WEEDEATER LawnSite Member

I'm starting a lawn service next year. How do you guys go about finding places that give contractor prcing or discounts. Are any of you located in the Milwaukee area, if so, where do you buy products from?

Thanks

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I buy from a distributor here for all types of lawn stuff. Seed, fertilizer and chemicals mostly. I had to give a tax ID number, my S.S. number. My business did not have any credit so i have to pay with cash or from my personal checking account. Good savings.
    A 25 lb. bag of seed at the nursery cost $52. From the distributor the same bag is $29. I hear I can go to the main distributor and get the same bag for $24 (if I drive 25 miles north). I usually charge the customer what THEY would have to pay from a nursery, so I have nearly 100% markup. Actually, I charge them $60 a bag and that includes the start up fertilizer.

I know I rambled on a bit, but I hope this helps.

MATT

3. WEEDEATER

WEEDEATER LawnSite Member

How did you find the distributer in your area.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Well, fortunately they are about 2 miles from my house and I had been driving by there for about 15 years, I also used to landscape for a company and we used to buy from there. I would just look in the phone book, you should be able to find something. They are also a Bluebird dealer and can get the best deals in town on their products. Although they do not stock any Bluebird items, but I can get quotes and order them. You will just have to do some research. If all else fails, you might be able to talk with a local LCO in your area and get some advice.

Good luck
    MATT