Contractor Punishment

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wglawncare, Feb 7, 2006.

1. wglawncare

wglawncare LawnSite Member

I have recently had my sub-contractor be a little lazy on the job. For about the last week I have been checking up on them while they are at the job and I dont see the quality of work that I expect. How would you, or how have some of you dealt with a situaion like this? Fire after so many instances? Dont talk them at all?:confused:
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

talk with them immediately, if this continues it will only get worse. I tried subcontracting some work where i was absent from the sites and it didn't work out to my liking. I now try to be on-site when subcontractors are present.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

withold money...
    that is the main advantage to subbing out... you not happy with the work.. do not pay until you are.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Get on it and get on him!He is workin for you and if his work is below par it reflects on have every right to tell him what you are unhappy with and request he fix it .Be spacific in your requests though...don't just say your him what where and why.Do not withhold $$ unless you tell him what your unhappy with and give him the chance to correct it 1st.
  5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have to be on site, what's the point of subcontracting the work? I have a good network of subs and I use a lot of them. Sure, you have to stay on top of them, but if you find that you have to be on site the entire time work is being performed, it's time to find new subs.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do a lot of subbing, and I said I TRY to be onsite, Often I know the properties better and the owner doesn't have to talk to the other contractor either.

My excavator guy I can practically tell him over the phone and he knows exactly what to do site unseen. My dump truck guy is the same way.

Both of them are owner/operators, which I believe plays a huge role in the way they operate as a sub contractor.
  7. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Subbing work out is a headache. I wouldn't do it because of that. I don't have time to babysit them and do my job too. If he's not doing the quality work, he's running your name into the ground. I'd fix it immediately or tell him not to let the door hit him where the good lord split him. Just isn't worth it. Just my opinion.
  8. wglawncare

wglawncare LawnSite Member

I have talked to him and it seems that he got the message. The weather here hasnt gave us any more work lately so I havent seen if he really did get the message. I guess time will tell. I wont let the situation get out of hand again tho. If I see any other work that I do not think is up to par then I will be having to let him go. Thanks for everyones input.
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Bingo! payup talks.