1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Contractor Scam or Stupidity???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jun 9, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I run into this quite often. Contractors are paid to install zones head-to-head and they cheat on the corners where two varying zones come together. The following is just an example to illustrate their design concepts and not a true, efficient design. By eliminating one sprinkler from each zone they make more money because although they've been contracted out for one thing they install another. Is this a concerted scam???

Attached Files:

2. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you need a School District Project Manager to ensure systems are built as designed. I grew up with a guy who does this for Clark County in Las Vegas in their Facilities Department (new construction).

Cheatin' Rat Bastad's
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to post about saying you don't always need a corner head and can often throw into a corner with two heads, but then I opened your PDF.

Yeah, thats kinda ********.
  4. PurpHaze

No one else in the district knows as much about the systems as I do (patting self on back and breaking arm at same time). We do have a Facilities Manager but they don't inspect the irrigation as they're more concerned about other things on a project. If it's a new school site there is a hired inspector as required by law but, then again, they're not worried about the irrigation.

I know of some new school site installs in other districts where main line pressurizing tests are required and other aspects inspected before the whole thing is covered up. It's often said in our district that if these inspections were required they wouldn't get any contractor bids or that the bids would be so high as being cost prohibitive.

Now... If they had me inspect any contracted projects they'd have to reclassify me and bring the pay scale up a few levels. Never will happen and I only have a few months anyway. Two new schools are in the initial construction phases at this time. I'll be gone before they're opened and turned over to us.

Kinda what I figured/felt but I didn't want to cast the first stone. :laugh:
  5. PurpHaze

I did the CAD to PDF so there wouldn't be any confusion as to what I was talking about.

I'm doing up another CAD paper on more contractor "tricky Dick" designs I run into often. :)
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same problem w/our Fire Dept., they'd taken the design/build
    price..f.....d it up...we came in on service..costalotsa to even get close to
    working. Next Fire station, I designed it, supervised the install & worked
    great, except I'm suprised I'm not next to Jimmy Hoffa after all the short cuts
    I caught them trying to do.
  7. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

It has got to be stupidity. I see that way to much for my tastes down here and I wouldn't hope there scamming because there really not saving a whole lot of money plus making a bad rep for themselves. Just my .02 though.
  8. Mike Leary

I don't think it's stupidity...I think it's their business model....no one will
    notice...by the time anyone does, warranty over, we're out of here, we do
    all the big stuff, which is why we bid low...not the "plant sensitive" type,
    unfortunatly....no guilt..most commercial sites will never get it, plant dies,
    big deal. Big deal for me, huge bid deal...someone put me in charge of their
    care....karma whatever, it's our responsibility!
  9. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

I know I have one year left and I can get my license down here so I can start doing stuff the right way instead of doing it the ******** cheap a$$ way.
  10. Mike Leary

Umm, are you talkin' about someone on this forum????