1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Contractor's License required?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PlatinumLandCon, Nov 9, 2007.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I know this technically isn't landscaping but it falls under the same general category.

I've been approached by someone to build a deck (12'x15' w/ stairs, elevated about 4' above ground). I know a contractor's license IS NOT required for landscaping but is it required for building a deck? (home owner will be gettin all permits). I see some of you guys doing decks in addition to landscaping so I was just wondering.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Youd have to check with your local regulators. Down here it would be required for any project over $1k, but this sure as hizzle aint Canada.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

check with the local authorities on the matter...i.e. the town. Chances are the deck requires a permit and here in jersey in order to get issued a permit you need to have a contractors license. And here any home improvement over 500 (including landscaping/hardscaping) you need a contractors license.
  4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, thanks guys. I've also heard that there's a max size of the deck until a permit is required. I'll call the town on Monday.
  5. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

how much is a lic there?

here they're only $200+/- a year (if co with less than 4 workers) $375 5-10workers.. and so on..

sometimes its cheaper to be legal
  6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

it is most definitely a local ordinance issue
    One county can have completely different rules than another
    Always cover your butt, if someone falls off that deck or some other odd thing happens they will come after you, goodbye business hello lots of lawyer bills

I had a friend approach me for a ramp into the house for their father who couldn't get around very well anymore and I thought OK fine, we are friends and I would only be helping but also getting a little business.
    I spoke to another friend and they said ARE YOU CRAZY, what if he falls off that ramp and dies, not likely but it could happen. Guess what, they would come after me.
    I didn't do the ramp
  7. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

Contractors license is $100.00-$150.00 here in every town you want to do your work (i have 14). that's if you want to be legal. I meet a guy yesterday that says he's been in Landscaping biz for 5 years and didn't have to pay any licensed, insurance, bond, etc.....DANG!!!:dizzy: