1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

contractor's license

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eagle lawn services, May 4, 2000.

1. eagle lawn services

eagle lawn services LawnSite Member

I have seen landscape contractors licenses mentioned in some of the trade magazines. I wanted to know what was necessary to obtain a landscape contractor's license. Is it similar to a General Contractor's License? I have seen Landscape Contractor Certifications offered by the PCCA? and the LMA, but is it accepted by the state? By the way I'm in Florida.<br> My other question is if you do yard lights or water ponds is a special license or permit needed to hook up the electric or water lines? Thanks.<br>Chris H.
  2. Just speaking in general terms. To get a landscape contractor license, you have to prove you have been in the business for a minimum of years. Then there are bonding issues ECT...<p>In answer to your second question, at least in California you can do pond installation and lighting except if your controller is hardwired into a circuit. If it uses a standard plug, you can do it yourself. Hardwiring of the controller requires a licensed Electrical Contractor. Also, my insurance requires this to be done.<p>When you get certification by trade groups, not the same thing as a license. Besides being an excellent source for information,a good selling point for yourself.<p>Go for the Contractor’s license. It can open up opportunities for you. Also a good selling point for yourself. That’s the big difference between a gardener and a landscape and maintenance company. No offense intended.<p><br>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044<br>