1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

contractors license

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kyle39, Jan 15, 2004.

1. kyle39

kyle39 LawnSite Member

My question is in illinois do you need a contractors license? If this is a requirement.

What do you have to do to get one.

Thankyou Kyle
  2. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

Don't know about your state. Check with you state govt. offices or the Small Business Administration office for your state. They should be able to advise you of all your requirements.
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Kyle...do what irose2 said.

In my state, I just walked in, told the city/county license office what I was doing, and that was it. Walked out with contractors license

She told me that when you have a business that requires you to dig or move dirt, you must have a contractors license.

simple.............good luck
  4. kyle39

kyle39 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. I checked the state website. It seems no license is needed.

Still checking on county.

5. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

Be sure and check with the cities you plan to work in. Out here in Washington each city I work in nickles me for 5-45$. These are not contractor licenses, but business licenses. The state went one better and made me purchase a nursery license (55$) as well as my specialty contractor licenses, because I would be reselling plant materials.

It seems there always somebody trying to make money off the work of others.

Good Luck and Good business to you.
  6. kyle39

kyle39 LawnSite Member

Thankyou Green Gopher. I will keep that in mind.
  7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

How lucky you guys are. For general landscape maintenance you don't need a license out here, but there are limits. For my all phases license I had to pass a laws and rules exam, backflow devices exam, irrigation exam, and a general exam consisting of plant id, construction, grading, drainage, and soil science. Each year you pay $75 to renew your contractor's license and $225 for your landscape business licnese, and you have to maintain your bond and insurance. Sure a lot of crappola just to suppliment mowing lawns in an area with a short landscaping season!
  8. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

No licenses needed in Ilinois, other than for pesticide/herbicide application.
  9. kyle39

kyle39 LawnSite Member

Thanks scl. That is what I found out.

10. askarvelis

askarvelis LawnSite Member

In VA they make us have a contractor's licences for ANY invoicing over 1000.00. Needless to say it looks like I will be getting mine!