1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

contractors license

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by midtnstone, Oct 4, 2004.

1. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

wondering how many people have a contractors license i got all of my info today so that i can take the exam in november just got sick and tired of wanting to bid on good paying jobs and not be able to because i dont have the license. also if anybody that is from tennessee and have gotting this tell me about it please so maybe this can go as smooth as possible. thanks
  2. Geezer

Geezer LawnSite Member

I am guessing that you are a stone contractor by your sign on. Tennessee law does not mandate a contractor's license if the value of the work is less than $25K. It may be a requirement by a general or an individual. This includes landscape management copntracts! I know all kinds of companies that have contracts over $25K that are not legal. The state can site them and make them stop work until the get licensed ... but I don't know of that happening in my area. Now the Department of Agriculture...that's different. They seek out those that are in commercial landscape running with out their Charter!

I applaude you for doing things the right way. I sometimes need a sub for some stone work so get back when you pass the test.
  3. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

thanks alot trying to take the test this month hope to get everything done as for the stone i could use all the work i can get thanks again
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Geeze, you need a license in NY for ANYTHING you do on a property. :rolleyes:
  5. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

NJ is now starting to require a contractors license for any home improvement work including new lawns, plants etc. No testing required but you must show proof of insurance with a minimum $1,000,000.00 coverage and renew yearly. I think it's a good thing.