Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Jul 25, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the deal.

Customer owes $$$$

The only way to collect is to go through the process.

1. Final payment due
    2. If not received, collections will occur
    3. Certified letter
    4. Magistrate
    5. Magistrate with the extra fee for constable
    6. Hearing
    &. Judgment on your behalf
    8. Xclient laughs at you and does not pay!!!
    9. Your out an additional $85 along with the services owed plus all the time involved.
    10. Judgment in your favor-yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    11. Customer NEVER PAYS and you are out the cash!!!

Contracts hold ZERO power at the end of day with money collected.

I am fired up over people that use the system!!!!

We need a way to CRIPPLE these dead beats!!!

We give our time, energy and money and they know how to work the system to screw us.

Guido, where are you???

I am PO!!! :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:
  2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have a deadbeat customer, just not lawncare. Painting. Never happened to me in years, but one of my workers mentioned he knew another business who handled this different.

He took out a "protest" licence from city hall. Easy to get I'm told.

He parked a truck on city property in front of the deadbeat and had a huge sign saying what happened.

He got paid in 2 hours. It could take longer in some cases, but it shames the sh** out of people.

I'm doing it before I go to court. If they want to settle from the protest, they'll have to cover my sign cost and labor cost... :dancing:

Just an idea...
  3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I've thought about that.

I need to look into the legalities of it.

I am FIRED up over this customer!!!

Do not F-me and tell me it's raining.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

po'ed over this scammer!!

They are taking money from me and my son and I will have the last say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you f-me, watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sir, please allow me to advise you on how to always get paid (well, almost always). I'm in my 5th year and have been over and through this same problem with the exact headache and anger you are feeling. These people pushed me over the edge more than a few times, please don't let that happen, it's not worth it... You're better off getting paid in a clean, efficient manner.

It took me a long time to develop this but one thing I found is you need a method. Whether this method works for you I can not tell you, but it works for me, less than 1% of my bills never get paid but do keep in mind there are some.

That having been said, this link leads to a post of mine (not a thread), so you may have to look for where it says topsites, it starts with 'What's the matter, customer not paying?'
    Read that, and the next one, and I think the one after that, all the topsites posts in a row are all a part of the process I use.
    And I haven't taken anyone to court yet, thou I reserve that right, if enough non-payers accumulate a worthy balance within a 3-year timeframe (the statute of limitations), then I'll file the whole lot of them into court all in one fell swoop. That's how you do that, if the 1% actually irks you that bad (it does me, it just never adds up to much LOL).

Here's the link:
  5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

The customer that I took to small claims would never show for the court date. The judge said that if he didn't show up for the next date he would have him put in jail with a bond equal to, or more than what he owed me so that I would get my money either way. The same thing if he didn't pay after the settlement!
  6. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

Check out , I've found that when a former customer sees their name on the web as a deadbeat customer they tend to pay and save themselves some embarassment.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Send up the light for BobbyDedd. He will bring an azzwhoopin and a pen with him and come back with a sore foot and a check.
    I know every state is different but do you have the ability to put a lien on this idiots property. They may not pay right now but when they try and sell they will have to pay you or no sale. Look into it. sorry for your pain.
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

You missed an important step, on or about the day to go the court house. Stop by the records department and place a mechanics lein on their property. Usually good for up to 21 years and it collects interest well above market rates in FLA it was 18%

consider it a savings bond. Once people realize that you have their house in hock they tend to pay....No refinance, no second mortgage, no selling, no transfer of ownsership.....:laugh:

All of your time and costs should be passed on as well, but thats a no brainer...

Topsites letter is very nice. But if you know where they work, its good to make a social call as well. I did that once, the SOB was suprised that I knew where he worked....Wage Garnishment is another option....Employers hate it as it means more papework, then the deadbeat's boss knows about his employee's financial woes as well...More shame...

I would not wait until you get a bunch of deadbeats to file, as you runthe risk of someone moving away and at which point you loose the ability to place a mechanics lein...

Go to court each time for each one, and charge your normal overtime rates to take care of business as part of your court costs and fees.

I do like the Protest Lic....

Just remember, if you don't have a contract, the above steps take that much longer and are that much harder....
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Why are your contracts not worth the paper they are written on? Mine are a legal document. I had a friend (attorney) look over mine and tweek it a little. I guess we all have or had this problem at one point or another. I have it as well but now if I don't recieve payment within a certain period I just simply stop services so I'm not into them for big money. I have a Doctor thats the worst by far, he was so late we stopped mowing for 3 weeks (after 6 weeks of non-payments) and he was still into us for about $600 and he is and was the first to complain about anything. I just simply told him look why should I keep mowing your propertywhen I might or might not be getting paid. I was just real assertive to this guy almost to the point that I was a real pri_k. but now he is late again and it looks like its the end of the road for this dead beat.
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You think thats a big hassle, try it with out a contract