Contracts? Do they hold up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Jan 23, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

For those that only have customers on contracts, what weight do they have as far as keeping a customer for the season. Has anyone collected on a customer that quit you in the middle of the contract?

2. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

It depands are you talking commercial or residential contracts. Commercial contracts they'll stay with you the whole year unless your service is just that bad. And if your service is that bad you shouldn't be in business. Residential contracts are more likely to be broken, but the nice thing about them is you won't show up one day and they tell you they don't need you any more. In my contract they have to give a thirty day notice. This way I know that I have thirty days to really bust my hump to get some one in that area to replace them. Then if they don't pay up I'll take them to small claims and they'll pay the amount due plus all the expenses of the court system.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Dido on everything!!!!!!! I would not do business without them.
  4. K.Carothers

I'm talking residential here.
    I see the advantage of the 30 days in the contract. Lets put the shoe on the other foot, do you have to give the customer 30 days when you want to fire them?

5. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Can i ask... if you want to drop your customer , Do you give them thirty days notice so they can find a lawn man???

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

in the res market i have found if it gets to the point of they want to fire me or i want away form them it says the contract can be cancled any time by either party with all monies owed due at the time of termination

if they r going to fire u and u tell them u have to give 30 days notice and pay me for 30 more days of service it can get ugly fast with some of the nut jobs out there
    as for getting paid if they dont want to pay ya they areant gonna
    i have a line in there that if the account goes past due i can stop/ suppend service till its up to date so they dont get into me for much
  7. K.Carothers

So basically a contract with our residential customers is not a contract. It is mainly a description on services and outlines the cost and frequency and payments??

from PA

see reply below

from PA

preaty much in my opin
    if they want u gone how much r u going to spend to try to keep them go to court to make a contract hold up some may do this but i wont

i look at it this way if i hire u to mow my lawn and i decide mid year i dont like you any more i want to be able to get rid of u now and u tell me i cant do it for 30 days that will make me even madder and then what happens nothing good
    i try to treat the customers the way i like to be treated
    i am sure u could put in an early termination fee but good luck getting paid
    there r to many guys out there that will mow with only a handshake so makeing a contract look one sided never works well in my area
  10. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

contracts are good to have when ya need a loan from a bank