Contracts for mowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nousborne, Jun 8, 2008.

1. nousborne

nousborne LawnSite Member
    from 21029

I am just starting my business up and it is already late in this mowing season. So, my question is: Do most lawn care businesses make customers sign yearly contracts that they cannot get out of? or is the contract just saying they agree to pay a certain amount?

In other words, is it too late for me to get customers this year because everyone is locked into contracts or can they ditch their current company and hire me?

By the way, these are 3 acre lots mostly

2. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

I only have a few customers since I just do it part time this year. And basically only having one day off a week. I only do contracts for the season. But me and the customer after a 30 day written notice can get out of the contract. The contract states: owner, service provider, cost per cut, term(months of the season),They can leave if there is something in the contract states a way out of it. Like if they have poor service from the lawn service co. But if they ditch them because you are cheaper, then they might do the same thing to you if someone else comes along with a lower price then you. Quality of service always wins out vs the lower cost services. being the lowest does not mean good service!

3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I have no contracts for residential mowing.

As of now I only have contracts under commercial snow plowing, no mowing contracts at all.

But It's pretty late in the season to try to aquire any large amount of accounts.
    You will most likely be able to find homeowners who are not satisfied with there current LCO, or people who are just sick of taking there own lawn on anymore this season. Good luck.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

If you make a contract where ya CANT get out of ........NO ONE WILL SGIN IT...

even our larger appartment and hotels have a 30 day cluse, that either party can cancel. But It must be in writting. again 30 days in advance... for no reason given....

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Agree with above....I use contracts for my seasonal residential and commercial accts (not one timers). Spells out terms, what cust. can expect from me, what I expect from the customer, and exactly when I will bill and when the cust. owes me. It is a good thing, you can set up expectations that way and your customer wont be bugging you about extra stuff, piddly stuff, etc. I, like the others above, also have an escape clause - but keep in mind this is also for YOU not just for them. If your cust. is a pain/hard to work with or the lawn is just not one up to your spec, you can dump em fast.