1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Contracts for Sale

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LawnExpressions, Mar 21, 2005.

1. LawnExpressions

LawnExpressions LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

I was just curious if anyone has ever purchased maintenance accounts from another LCO. This guy was trying to sell me a used ztr, trailer and 30 accounts for 25 grand. Obviously I declined, but I wanted to know what everyone else thinks 'cause I've heard just about every formula or calculation under the sun. Thanks
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on this subject and you will see every opinion on this subject under the sun too.
  3. Mike TMI

Mike TMI LawnSite Member

I have bought out 3 different companies. The first was a small operation and I approached him out cutting some lawns. It was mid-August and I asked him how many accounts he took care of. It was like 20 or so. I told him I would give him $2,000 the very next day and we would sign a contact and a non-compete letter. He jumped on it and I gave him the money the next day.

The other 2 were a little tricky. 1 LCO wanted the price of each lawn X 5 visits. He had 80 residentials and 1 HOA. I ended up getting him down to 4 visits per house and he threw in the HOA. We obviously signed a contract...but now he works for me doing my fertilizer.

The last one was the hardest...he wanted 4 visits...I offered 3 visits plus he sell me his equipment. He ended up taking the 3 and I bought one mower for $500.00

So I have bought a few companies and interested in buying a few more....

Anyone selling?
  4. rodfather

You were fortunate...you would not get that lucky purchasing my company I can tell ya.
  5. Mike TMI

Mike TMI LawnSite Member

Trust me...I walked away each time laughing about how lucky I got, except the one I bought that he came and worked for me. We actually have become pretty good friends.

You ever bought a company in your area? What do they go for?

6. rodfather

Nope, got too many accounts now on my own Mike. ;)
  7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

going rate for accounts up here seems to be 2 months of total revenue. Just sold my business. It worked out well, for me and the other LCO.