Contracts in MO

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnMaster5000, Apr 15, 2004.

1. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been requiring my clients to sign annual contracts for the past 3 years. This year when i was making follow up calls a regular client from last year told me that "Lawn care and chemical contracts are illegal in MO." She was not on contract last year b/c she joined mid season and I just forgot that she did not have one signed.

I am not overly concerned about her not having a contract due to the fact that historically she has been a great customer.

But was wondering if anyone has heard something like this, or where this lady may have gotten this idea from.

I would rather not hear the regular banter of
    "Drop her now"
    "you can replace her tomorrow"

Thanks for your input

2. Rev

Rev LawnSite Member

The best I could find was this link:

http://outreach.missouri.edu/extensioninfoline/lawn&garden/lawn_service.html

It's from the U of Missouri but it's written by a guy from Kansas. It includes a mention of contracts:

That sounds like contracts are perfectly acceptable. And since Mizzou has it on their site, I would assume it covers the state.

Maybe this customer was just repeating something she'd heard somewhere. Either way I guess it's up to you if you want to push the idea of a contract with her.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi lawnMaster5000,

Could you ask her where she heard this from?

4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I did ask where she had heard this from and never received an very strong answer. She said that she has heard it from multiple people, including companies that have come to give her bids on projects.

I think that she just has no idea what she is talking about but i wanted to run things past everyone on here.

5. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

the first thing any judge will ask you when you try to collect is do you have a copy of the contract. a contract is a legal docoment in any state. she has either been misinformed or just doesn't want to deal with it. if it is your policy make her sign the contract. I have had customers that have been good custmomers for years that have burned me in the end

6. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

I agree w/ dforbs. There is no way that contracts are illegal in MO. Explain to her why having a contract benfits her and explain all of the possible situations that could happen with a lawn service which doesnt offer contracts.

I switched to contracts this year, so ive been dealing with this all spring, yet I have not lost 1 customer do to contracts.

Here is part of my pitch
    "The problem with my industry is that there are to many unregistered, unproffessional, joe smoes running around cutting lawns. I am not a 'grass cutter' but a lawn service operator. I own a business and I run it accordingly.

By then they get the point.

Remind her she can cancel, its not like if shes not happy she can't discontinue service.
    t
    Explain to her that having contracts is not illegal, call up the gov. center in your state and get the name of someone she can call to verify. Other then her 'fabricated excuse' I bet she cannot give you one good reason not to use contracts.