Contracts lost. Any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tomo, Aug 27, 2006.

1. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, lost 2 different contracts 26hrs work /2wks...damn Any body have the same experience and how did u recover to fill the hole. I specialize in commercial props [less hassle]but at this stage will take on any thing to fill hole. I guess that stuffed my plans 4 expansion ,at least for short term any ways.
    TOMO

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I do not have any advice but it does seem to be one of the problems with commericial jobs, you may only have a few and when you lose some it hurts, i know people that have spent $1000S( on equip) in the belief they would win a contract but they ended up not getting it, maybe you can do some ressy to do as back up work perhaps ??

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

good point, unless they are long term contracts (3 - 5) years in length

4. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I also used to do lots of commercial props had one for 6 years and thought I would get it again ( this was pretty much the bread winner job) I had some residential and smaller commercials but none would equal the pay of this one. Well that was last year in December when the contract ended, To date income levels are just around the same as when i had this contract, so it hurt alot in the beginning but things have worked out for the better. One word of advice don't put all your eggs in 1 basket, better to have lots of smaller ones than 1 large 1. This year we added a few new commercial props and lots of new residential, overall it has Ben a good year now if we could just get some rain..

Steve

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I know this isn't going to work for the short run, but things will work out.

Everytime I've lost a contract after a number of years, I've stumbled onto one that's less work for more pay, or at least the same amount of work for more pay.

Anyways, keep your chin up, suck up eating out for lunch everyday, keep the budget tight for the next 1-2 months, and you'll be okay.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The contract I took on this year (my first and likely last) got put onto Sunday which I never work on anyhow, so even thou it accounted for 20 percent of my gross, when I lost the contract I also lost little sleep because I got my Sundays back and I had filled the rest of the week with resis the way I always do.