Contracts?? New business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MeadowsLawnCare, May 9, 2007.

1. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

New to the forum here. I fell into some cash and I really have no need to have a steady job but im bored and I like to mow. I would really like to start a mowing business but I realize its late in the year. My plan is to mow some accounts and setup some stuff this year to get some referalls and word of mouth to set up contracts next year. Do you think it would be ok to just mow on a regular basis with no contract and just request payment on completion of each time I mow? Or should I contract everyone I mow? I know contract gives you the security of knowing you have the job lined up but I think since its so late some customers might be hesistant to sign a contract with me plus im a new business. I have a truck, trailer, 36" mower, 22" trimmer mower, 2 trimmers and a blower. Any help would be appreciated!

Andy Meadows
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Unlike a lot of guys on here I don't use yearly contracts. When I take on a new customer they receive a copy of a monthly agreement. This spells out exactly what I will do and for how much along with any special clauses (weather, gates, dogs, etc.) They also get a copy of my billing policy. I invoice on the 15th, payment is due on 1st, no payment by the 5th and they are suspended. This way I never give up more than a month of service, nor do I have to chase down a weekly check. In 12 years this is the only system I have used for residential and it works great. People hate long term contracts and I have gained accounts because of it.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

P.S. No it not too late! Now the wannabes start dropping like flies!
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

same here.....
  4. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

This is a very sound approach. And I also agree that it is never too late - we picked up some of our best clients mid-season due to their unhappiness with other companies they went with - usually because their price was much get what you pay for.
  5. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Never used a contract, and don't plan to unless i land a very large residentual property or start doing comercial. Definatly not to late to start. I get most of my new clients in the june-july months when the heavy heat waves start coming. The weekend warrior lco's start to disapear then and a lot of do-it-yourself people decide its not worth it.