Contracts no ones cares

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, May 18, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I mowed a lady last week (in the rain) anyway in our "agreements" it clearly states if you have a gate and its locked or unaccessable do to whatever you will be charged the normal rate and if you request us to come back you will be charged the normal rate again. To some this may sound extreme but after last year and all the B.S. with locked gates and people calling a day or two later bitchin about why the back yard wasn't mowed, this is something I had to do. Anyway she called bitching "I want to know why you didn't mow the back yard" I said back, your van was parked less than a foot away and we couldn't even fit a small mower through, she went on and on about how she is hard of hearing and she didn't hear us banging on the door. So long story short, I said we would be back to mow on the next scheduled date, her response, "well ok I guess" She calls today asking why she got a bill for last week, I get into it again with her about the locked gate and full amount thing in the agreement, she then says well I found another guy to mow her yard, I said you cant, you signed our contract and just because you couldn't hear us banging on your door doesn't justify firing us. People just think a mowing contract is just a place to practice their signature. OLD PEOPLE SUCK!:hammerhead:
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Score one for you!
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have to admit, I am impressed.
    Especially by how a contract really can help...

As for the locked gates, I know what you mean about the bs, they always want us to jump through all the hoops for them and I done been through that, too.

I handle the locked gate different: They can either give me a key or they make sure it is not locked when I show, or they can find someone else. The absolute most I will do is call them a day or so in advance but I don't even like that idea because one time is all it takes for me to forget. Then again, I don't do contracts.

Now if I show and the gate is locked (yes, nowadays it's the first thing I check if that comes up), I don't even unload, I get back in my truck and go on down the road, cross one off the schedule. Because the thing is if there is rigmarole concerning the back gate, that's a red flag of impending doom to me.

Thou I like the: DOWN horse, I am the rider YOU are the HORSE ... bit

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

She can't cancel??? What does the contract say, she's stuck with you all year?

It doesn't hurt sometimes to cut some slack, give them a one-time warning and reiterate the terms of the contract, then enforce it from then on out.
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

A mowing contract means nothing around here. Why? Because so many idiots just cruise around and do whatever a customer wants and is their slave, if they actually have a contract it's junk.

You wouldn't believe the amount of people that after I sold them on the service and contract was signed they said "wow your so professional and orginized compaired to anyone else I've ever had". And I beat myself up for thinking I'm not professional enough!

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i have that locked gate thing in my contract also. just a suggestion it also includes dog in yard,lawn/garage sales,street parties,other contractors working,etc. if i show up you get charged.i had one test me already this year show up they were having garage sale told me to come back in 2 days. when i billed them for the show up for first cut they called to complain told them that they signed that in the contract. they said i don't care I'm not paying so i tell them they better reread their copy on contract or i'll be seeing them in check 2 days later
  7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I have mowed a certain lawn twice now and both times the back gate was locked and both times the lady came out and unlocked. The last time she wasn't very fast about it, I knocked on the door waited around, finally started weed wacking the front while the other guy was mowing then she comes out. I wasted like five minutes I figure, no big deal but I told her I almost skipped it.

If at anytime that gate is locked and they are not there to open it they'll have to wait a week and I will charge the same, I'll just tell them there's extra bagging or some kind of extra work when a lawn waits two weeks for a cut. I would lose the customer before I compromised on that same with if they ask me to skip a week. It's going to be extra work next time and it will look messy you might as well pay a tiny bit extra and get it cut every week.

LCO's are a dime a dozen but so are pita customers.
  8. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

That makes for some great customer relations! It doesn't hurt once in a while to give a bit, maybe "remind" the customer of the contract wording, as long as it is not a constant.
  9. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I have a gate policy too................NO GATES! Actualy in 10 years I have never bid a house with a gate, Not that big around here.
  10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two customers with no gates (out of 23 total) so that would be a bad policy for me.