Contracts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mack77, May 31, 2005.

1. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hey guys...

I've been mowing for a few years now, and with all my customers i have verbal agreements. Basically stating that I will be cutting their lawns on this specific day for this set amount of money.

This method has been working just fine for me because i am still a very small, solo operation. I also communicate with each and every customer well, and they do not have any problems. However I see many people talking about 'contracts'. This looks like a better way to avoid confusion with your customers.

I'm curious, what do you include in your contract? Is anyone willing to post one of theirs for an example?

Thanks in advance!

2. BrunswickMowing

BrunswickMowing LawnSite Member

How and on what schedule do you collect payment, Mack?

3. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I cut weekly, there is no set billing schedule. I tell customers that I send out an invoice after approx. 4 lawn cuts.

4. BrunswickMowing

So you just get their name and address at the first mowing and then send an invoice and wait for a check to come to you by mail? So with no contract, do you have them write down their name and address or do you ask them and write it down yourself? Have you ever had a problem collecting?

5. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I started pursuing lawn maintenance seriously two years ago, passed out flyers within a ten minute distance from my home. I got a handful of hits back, the type of work i was looking for was grass cutting, but the majority was weeding, mulch...the tedious stuff people simply don't want to do. Now, i have a handful of grass cutting jobs, not many but it keeps me busy. I just recently purchaced my first ZTR, and i love it!

Anyway, my business basically revolves around my verbal agreements with customers. When someone is interested in a service, whether it be grass, mulch, etc, i meet with them to price out the job. We meet, walk around the property and they explain exactly what they want done. I then price them accordingly to the job at hand. I take down their names, address, phone number, price per cut and record it into an excel spreadsheet. After i complete the job I immediatally record it in the computer.

After a customer's invoice gets to be about $200 or after about 4-5 cuts, i send them an invoice which i leave in the mailbox after I cut for that week. I leave the invoice in an envelope with the invoice, along with a self addressed stamped envelope so they can send payment. I've never had a problem collecting as of yet (Knock on wood! :) )

Hopefully i'm doing this the correct way...if not any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated!

6. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to post a new thread, then I saw this. I'm looking for a contract template or some really good pointers. I am also in the process of creating service contracts to get some of the stress off of my back. Anyone have a good example?

Thanks so much,
    Matthew

7. BrunswickMowing

Sounds like you are doing OK to me Mack. Where in NJ are you located?

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you cant put your bill in the mailbox, you cant mail it, but you cant but anything in or on it, federal law and someone will complain, i guarantee it..... big fines involved

9. BrunswickMowing

I understand not being alowed by law to place anthing in or on a mailbox...but what do you mean by "you cant mail it"?

10. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Brunswick...I'm located in western NJ.