Contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Sep 24, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you use contracts for residential customers? I haven't been using them...and don't know if I will...but I was curious to see how many use them....and the positives and negatives.

2. dcramer

dcramer LawnSite Member

Never use contracts on any of our customers. I will be hiring 2 employees next year and i will then. I think some people get afraid when you come at them with the word contract when they are resid. unless of course if you are charging them like 100+ a week to mow than i would. If its a 15.00 job than i wouldn't worry about it. The most expensive resid customer we have is 55.00 per week.

3. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

I use contracts w/ all customers. My maint.cont list ALL that is to be done. I've had some cust. ask questions about what they thought was to be performed and we go back to the contract of what they are paying for eliminates problems.

4. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my customers appreciate the contracts. None of them had any problems signing them. I like them because they specify exactly what you are doing and the customers know exactly what to expect. My cust prices range from $25 - $50.
    I use contracts for all landscaping for the same reasons. Great post.

5. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not been using contracts, but would like to do so next year.
    Does anyone have suggested contract formats to share?

6. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I say do contracts. CYOB cover your own butt. I find that when I get a new client and they are hesitent about a basic face contract, it means that they are trouble, not 100% are. every person that I have let not have a contract with me has been a late payer, non-payer or pushes for freebees. the most common line from them is, "I distinctly remember you saying that you did this for "FREE" as part of you services". When I get that they get dropped and billed. A contract lays it out for them and protects your good name. It gives you the freedom to "give" when you feel like it and not to give when you don't.
    when you have it in writing and it is signed and you give them the copy, they have no leg to stand on, so if they don't pay you can collect. If you need a contract to start with e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of mine. simple 3 pages, lawyer approved. CYOB :weightlifter:

7. CaR Enterprises

CaR Enterprises LawnSite Member

I started using contracts with residential customers. I have stopped though because it costs money to draw up contracts and you never know when they will not need your service anymore. I have changed my way of thinking and I now only use contracts for commercial accounts.

8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Lawn Care Agreements (same as contracts). We call it lawn care agreement because us or the customer can get out of the agreement in 14 days. We just use them to state what services we are providing and to bind them to paying. We have found this to work best for us and most people don't have a problem with signing them.

9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use contracts (or service agreements) as moch as possible. I do it for two primary benefits. Year around cash flow for my company and lower monthly payments for the customers. As well as a written agreement as to what services are to be performed. Not all of my customers have them, but I tryto get the customer to sign an agreement whenever possible.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly what I do.