1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LawnMastersTx, Jan 29, 2008.

1. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

Do any of you use contracts for customers? Like a monthly service fee for coming out each month to check on their system and make sure its working at peak efficiency.

I use contracts for my lawn maintence customers and seeing if I should do the same for sprinklers. For customers that want more than just one time repair work.

If you do use them. What aspects do you charge for and are you happy with having them?

There is suppose to be a guy around here that just does backflow checks on systems once a year. He does 2 hospitals and 2 or 3 HOA. He works just a month or two and makes enough to take the rest of the year off.
  2. Don't believe it until you personally meet him. Lot of this guy does this rumors everywhere.
  3. LawnMastersTx

That is very true. So no one has used contracts? Just installs and repair from place to place?
  4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Considered it, have them ready, but haven't implemented the service program. We send out disclosure statements on all installs and contracts on some.
  5. We have contracts on large commercial jobs.....Start-up, monthly checks and shut down...
  6. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

I have offered maintenance contracts during the signing of the irrigation contract. most of the people sign were commerical customers.
  7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Same Here.

For Residential, if you establish a good working relationship with the customer, ive always felt theres no need for a written contract. He knows your number, (Mine is always posted on the controller) He'll call you when theres a problem.

Personally, I dont have time to go to every customers home every other month to do a overall check. I think thats overkill

The biggest thing is keeping your number within a good reach, POST IT ON THE CONTROLLER!!!!! Its amazing why more irrigation co's dont do
    this! Ive been posting my number on controllers since i got in the business in 94. Every system in install i always SIGN in ink the zone station location card in the controller "Installed By Will Koster Jan 2008" I take alot of pride in my installations, i want people to know who put it in.
    And i POST my Company Sticker on the outside of the controller door, (Inside for outdoor controllers)
  8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

That's complete b.s...I always figured if the client ( most systems are run
    by "she", by the way), had to dink with the system...I'd done my job wrong:
    you must have a low end clientele.
  9. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Mike Its not BS.

Its just my opinion.

Its their system! Controllers periodically need adjusting for different reasons, but if they want to pay for monthly contract or whatever just to do that, well thats fine im not complaining!

It just eats up alot of time... that is all
  10. LawnMastersTx

I like the point of putting your number in the box. Since I am doing repair work, might be a good idea just incase the customer loses my card or the one year warranty I give on work.

Kosher, where do you get your stickers from? It would be nice to add "Repaired by Lawn Masters of Texas" on any system I work on. That way when i do a good job they know, and if i dont its my tail on the line.