Control flow deck question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by BRIAN GALLO, Apr 9, 2002.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for a new wb this season, and my local Exmark dealer has a killer deal on a 48" Turf Tracer hp. I currently own Snapper and Toro products. The Snappers have a fabricated deck that "looks" similar to me to the Exmark decks (from the underside of course). I don't get as good of a cut out of the Snappers as I do the Toro - especially in high or damp conditions. I understand the engineering behind the sfs Toro decks and feel that it lives up to its claims. My question is - obviously the Exmark cut is high quality because there are a lot of guys on here raving about them - but how does the control flow baffling work better than the Snapper style (or any other fabricated decks for that matter)?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Brian,

Thank you for the question. The "Flow Control Baffle" is a major factor in the performance of the Exmark deck for several reasons.

Cutting grass with a rotary mower really has more to do with air management than it does with the actual cutting of the blade of grass. It's air that lifts the grass and it is air that carries the grass out the discharge chute.

The flow control baffle simply helps to manage the airflow under the deck and keeps the grass moving in the direction it should be. This gives us more vacuum, more lift, more discharge velocity and a cleaner cut. Because of the air management we can also run higher blade tip speeds than some mowers with out baffling. With out the baffles the blade tips can create "swirls" or un-controlled airflow that wants to "blow out" or escape from under the deck. While all decks exhibit some degree of blow out (including ours) un-baffled decks can exhibit a great deal more.

The "Flow Control Baffle" really helps us stand the grass up taller, cut it off cleaner and get it out the discharge chute faster. This gives you a higher quality of cut as well as higher mowing speeds making you more efficient and hopefully more profitable.

Demo one, I’m confident you’ll see the difference for yourself.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you

Terry