Control of Ailanthus altissima

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Garth, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Need some feedback on the control of Ailanthus altissima (Tree-of-Heaven) which as everyone knows is not an actual plant but a cancer. I have several trees busting out a retaining wall over a swimming pool that I need to kill. I'm planning to apply Garlon 3A in basal oil or diesel fuel (2.5 quarts per 3 gallon mix) with a penetrant. I've heard that Pathfinder II and Arsenal AC are good choices for basal treatments as well. Anyone have experience with either of these chemicals? If you've ever dealt with Ailanthus you know what a bugger it is to control.:help:

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard 'em called " mother inlaw trees" because they keep popping up where ever ya don't want 'em to

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Ghetto palms.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

That's tha name I frequently hear also. Garth, can't you just cut them down first and do a basal app with R-up??

5. Garth

I could but the RU would have to be applied in violation with the label. That is something I wouldn't do. On the other hand, Accord SP & Accord Concentrate(both of which glyphosate is the A.I) is listed as a basal treatment for trees. A friend of mine is a forester and she uses Velpar L which I'm currently looking into.

6. cowboy bob

cowboy bob LawnSite Member

We don't have a big problem with Ailanthus Altissima, but we do with buckthorn. I have used pathfinder II on buckthorn with good results. With the pathfinder II you do have to be careful of the surrounding vegetation. The best time to use it is in the winter when everything is dormant. then you just spray on the cut stump and it will kill the roots.

7. Grassmechanic

page 72 of my R-up labels states " Cut Stump Treatments - Woody vegetation may be controlled by treating freshly cut stumps of trees and resprouts with this product. Apply this product using suitable equipment to ensure coverage of the entire cambium. Cut vegetation close to soil surface. Apply 50% to 100% solution of this product to the freshly cut surface immediately after cutting. Delays in application may result in reduced performance. For best results, application should be made during periods of active growth and full leaf expansion." It then goes on to give a partial list of woody brush and tree species controlled. Then, page 122 goes on to state that these practices are approved in the state of California.

8. Garth

My RU label has 9 pages. Not even my Fumitoxin label AND applicator's guide has more than 35 pages. Bloody hell, buy a pesticide get a free paperback novel. I've looked at both ProDry and Pro and there is NOTHING for basal treatment for trees over 7 inches DBH in it. Exactly, if I may ask, how many pages are on YOUR label????

9. Grassmechanic

128, but the last 7 are left blank for notes. It's more like a pamphlet, 2 1/2" x 5". The one for Honcho is almost exactly the same. I even went out and grabbed the label off of some Clearout41 (glyphosate) that I recently bought. On page 64, it is almost verbatim to the R-up label. Want an etxra??

10. Garth

Well, if your speaking ad veridicus ( truthfully, for those of you who are Latin-impaired) I'll try the RU after I confirm it with the Ag Commissioner. If it's ad verbatim with other glyphosate products then it would be redundant to send me one. Still, 128 pages? The one I pulled off our RU Pro has 9 leaving 119 pgs of info gone.