Control of Japanese Beetles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Quail Creek LC, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I've been getting a lot of requests here lately to rid trees of Japanese Beetles. I dont currently do anything with spraying of trees, just lawns. There is starting to be a lot of damage to trees in our town lately. I've seen traps being used, but have also read where this can actually attract beetles to your yard. What does everyone else do for them?? Yes I am a licensed applicator in the state of Iowa. Just needing ideas for treating the trees, not the lawns. Thanks

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We set a trap today catches 5oo plus a day this thing is amazing.
  3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Japanese beetles are more easily controlled as grubs than as adults. In both cases, I believe Sevin is labelled for their control. If I were you, I would look for a product more specific for the beetles, since Sevin is broad spectrum and will kill beneficial insects also.
  4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck controlling the beetle. Sevin or Talstar, work among others. Their sheer numbers make control diffucult. Could need several apps per week. Recommend grub control for the turf if there is high beetle activity.
  5. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Japanese Beetles will feed on over three hundred different plants, shrubs, bushes, trees etc.

The pheromone bags have been shown to attract more beetles to the area where the bag is located, so if you do intend on using one of those bags, place it in your neighbours yard :) There is also an increase in damage in the location of the bag. People get excited by how many beetles the bag is collecting, but it is a false sense of success.

Grub control needs be started now, but is expensive. You would also have to treat all the yards around you to get good control. You are really treating for next year, as the damage is already done. I suppose you could get a kill if the area under the plant was treated as the beetle burrows down each night to lay her eggs.

A systemic such as Merit, which is expensive has show to be effective when used as a drench in the spring, but tends to have best effect on smaller trees, bushes etc. but may not be helpful on delicate perennial plants. Still expect to get some damage as the beetle has to feed on the plant for merit to work. Merit has also been found two years after treatment in some plants.

Talstar and Sevin are from two different chemical families, but are effective as a contact and residual spray. I have found Talstar to have about a 2 week residual, Sevin seems to degrade within a week. Do not take these times as written in stone as your experience may differ, but here in Southern Middle TN with strong intense heat I have obtained these results. Also phytotoxicity has been low with Talstar.

Hope some of this helps.
  6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Bryn,
    A tank mix of Merit 75 WSP and Talstar will do the trick.(talstar quick acting/merit long lasting) It's what I am using as well. One 1.6 Oz. Packet of merit 75 WSP + 48 Oz. of Talstar + 4 Oz. spreader sticker Per 300 Gallons of H2O. I expect a Month of Control. Here adult Jap. Beetles lay there eggs in about 2 weeks and then die soon after, so a month of control is long enough. Get good coverage of all affected plants because even though Merit is a Systemic, it will not move from one leaf to another when applied as a foliar. Read your label's and check local laws before spraying.

Pete D
  7. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information Pete D, always nice to hear what others are doing so I have an alternative solution.

I tend to use Merit as a drench in the spring, then followed with Talstar if needed, but the foliar application is interesting, I will pull my label and have a read about that.

Have you had any problems with Talstar and a Ionic sticker? I have heard of some people here in the south having some "burning" problems.