Controling Moles

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kirk1701, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Had this problem last year but over the winter months the little critters seem to hibernate but this year, not even with the cold temps they didn't take a break :confused:

I haven't had much problem in the front yard and I noticed more in the back they will approach the property line, turn and go back with exception to one area in my back yard which is nothing but weeds I have not done any reseeding there and use the area as a test area for new weed control products before I spray it on my lawn.

Anyhow I've about tried everything short of a lawn chair, a six pack and a .22 cal to get rid of them. I've tried the spring traps which they seem to evaid, the poison worms they seem to think is junk food.

Knowing they go for grub I have applied GardenTech Sevin for grub control to perimeter of property to take away their food so they would go elsewhere. To early to say if that has worked but in case not I want to be prepared if it does fail, what do you recomend?

I have even tried double edge razor blades burried in the mole run :laugh:

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have good luck with Liquid Fence for Moles...works great everytime

3. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a Joke??? You put a chemical Grub control around the perimeter of your property???What about all the grubs inside your property? And they really prefer earthworms.

4. kirk1701

I only put it around the perimeter because that seems to be the only area I have problems.

Its almost like something was put down to deter them but around the edges is where they are attempting to come in and well, then they turn and go back.

Liquid Fence hu? Thanks Ric3077 I have not heard of it but will google and see what I find.

5. Ric3077

http://www.liquidfence.com/mole-vole-gopher-repellents.html
    You need to spray the whole yard (front and back and beds too) with this stuff first...then about every 5 weeks you simply do the perimeter. Works good. We have many customers on this program.

6. kirk1701

Thanks Roc3077
    Just ordered. :clapping:
    1 Liquid Fence Mole Repellent - 1 Gallon Concentrate Mole:167 $39.99 $39.99

7. Ric3077

No prob, follow the instructions and you will get results

8. kirk1701

9. kirk1701

Have a question on the clean up process using Liquid fence

Sice it does contain caster oil it don't wash out of the sprayer with just water as normal stuff will. I have tried dishwashing soap which works for the areas I can get to like the tank where I can wash with a rag but elsewhere the dishwashing soap ain't cutting it in the hose so what can I use to cut through the oil?

10. Ric3077

Not sure, I usually use the smaller hose attachment bottle...so I never have to clean it...I just hook up to the water and spray, the mixing is done inside the bottle. When finished I just unhook the water and put the bottle away. When the bottle is empty, I refill it with my large jug of liquid fence mole repellent. I might suggest just buying one of these bottles from liquid fence co...or call them and they might send you one free...they did for me...but I bought several gallons of the stuff. Good luck