1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

controling violets now in SE

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by griffy77, Apr 14, 2006.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

I live in WV and the violets are beginning to flower. I have found this is the best time to treat with 2,4D. I use Monentum 21-0-11. I have a chart wich says not to begin weed and feed for another month for this part of the country. BS. This is the best time to get violets under control.

Violets have a latex covering that protects them and I have done research by growing a wild violets collected from the woods vs violets from a yard that has several years of weed control and fertilizers applied. I have found that the violets in the yard were more ressitant to herbicides than the ones from the wild. In conclusion I believe that violets in a domestic lawn are beginning to produce more latex protective cover which is making it harder to kill. HOWEVER, while they are producing flowers for reproduction they spend more energy on reproducing than producing latex so now is a great window of opportunity to kill the violets. Mid summer seems to be the hardest. It takes many apps. I havent tried Quicksilver but have heard it works wonders. $200 for 8 ounces!!

Hope this helps anyone out that is having trouble with violets.
  2. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

quicksilver plus drive 75