1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

controller for residential install

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ohenry, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ohenry

ohenry LawnSite Member

OK, I'm at the point where I'm ready to consider controllers for my residential installation. A few specifics:

-- Currently 8 zones. 3 spray (2 in turf, 1 in shrubs), 2 rotor (turf), 3 drip (1 bushes, 1 deciduous trees, 1 buried turf techline drip).

-- Plan to expand to at least 10 zones. Probably 2 zones to manage dripline for vegetable beds (currently run vegetable beds off hose bib -- got to get them synced up with the rest of the system!). possibly one more turf zone and tree drip zone. so I anticipate needing to expand to 10-12 zones.

-- Need to be able to program turf and drips easily for varying seasons (our summers are HOT and dry, our winters may be wet or may be dry). also need to be able to adjust turf zones easily -- we grow bermuda in summer (deep-water once or twice weekly) and overseed rye in winter (frequent short seed watering for a few weeks, then switch to deep-water).

-- Need to be able to hand-program timed watering for vegetable beds, in addition to regularly scheduled watering. IE, if i just put in some seedling veggies and want to run the veggie beds, I want to be able to walk over to the controller, tell it to drip the veggie beds for an hour, and be done, without affecting overall programs.

-- can install wall, pedestal, outdoor or (with some extra cable-monkeying) indoors.

I generally use RB stuff with success... i know many pro installers in our area seem to use irritrol. i also don't know what to think of ID, etc.

I realize controllers may mostly a matter of personal preference, etc., but i am looking for thoughts on what's easiest to install, in addition to what's durable, easy to use and most versatile in programming options.

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'd think ML would be the most qualified for you area, look in the surrounding camp grounds for an older gent fixing stray pipes. I mostly use hunter stuff, not an irrotoll fan, rain-bird of too of course a great brand.
  3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Personaly I like Hunter pro c,s for systems under 15 zones and ICC,s for the larger ones.
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Weathermatic SmartLine SL1600 with On-Site Weather Monitor. Your cost a little north of $200, and can expand up to 16 zones.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the Rainbird ESP. The ESPm (modular) is capable of 13 zones and can handle the options you mentioned.
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ho ho Brandon! Fimco & Hank & John have me pretty convinced about the SLs,
    I installed one last year w/weather station, but cannot tell you yet my feelings as
    I'll fire it this year & know more. Hank's SLs have not run yet, either. Fimco & John
    seem pretty jazzed, tho.
  8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Same here those are great controllers..
    Very, H/O friendly..
  9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic