Controller Problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mattm1962, Oct 13, 2006.

1. mattm1962

mattm1962 LawnSite Member

I have a RB ESP Modular controller with 8 zones. Recently I have had a problem with zones running when there is zero time programmed for the zone. For example, last night I set a program to run zones 1,2 & 4 starting at 5 o'clock this morning. Those zones ran correctly but when zone 4 finished, zone 5 started. I spun the dial to zone 5 and the time to run read zero. This controller is capable of using 4 start times per program but I verified that only the 1st start time was set...the others read 00. Last week a similar thing happened. I set zones 5 thru 8 to run, which they did, but when zone 8 finished zone 1 started. When I checked the controller zones 1 thru 4 had zero time. I installed this controller back in January and it has worked great up until now. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The RB ESP modular has 3 programs on it, Verify that there are no start times on Program B and C.
  3. mattm1962

mattm1962 LawnSite Member

So the controller rolls thru all three (A,B,C) programs whenever the dial is set to 'AUTO'? And if there is a start time set for any program its going to fire up any zone that has time on it? I thought it would only run the program that was selected...A or B or C. I certainly don't doubt that I might be doing something wrong...or ignorant to some aspect of how the controller works, but I just figured that I would have noticed zones running when I didn't think they should prior to now. Anyway, thanks for the tip...I'll definitely check it out!
  4. yes if there is a start time and run time, the controller will run the programs regardless if it is on a,b or c
  5. Forgot the default reset way, but the easy way is to re-set the clock. Then program what you need.

As far as I know, any brand timer has on a default program A setting. Usually B C D ect... have not set values.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The purpose of multiple programs is to seperate zones into different start times, or run one zone several times during a day.

They aren't for having a backup program that you can switch to if you want, or having a seed/sod program (though you can do that, if you remember to clear the start time off of it when you go to your regular program).

The RB ESP Modular will start whatever program has the first start time, and run through it entirely, regardless of what the selector switch is on. That switch is simply to let you set the programs. It does not select which program will run.

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

Rainbird Also Had Problems W/ Control Board For This Controller!
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure water % is set at 100.

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

Make Sure Your Actual Days And Date Are Correct.if You Set Up Your Controler But Run Your Time/date/year Backwards To Get To Your Time Faster Instead Of Forward It Can Throw Off Your Sync. Of The Micro-processor.check W/ Rb Rep To Give You A Cheat Sheet They Put Out. Verygood! The Esp Mod. Has A Contractor Default In 30 Seconds It's Back To How You Set It Originally.
  10. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

did you used to be a programmer for MS? You Capitalize Every Word. Not that there's anything wrong with that.