Controller Suggestions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bicmudpuppy, May 7, 2007.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ok guys, I'm asking for some serious suggestions here. My irrigation setup here at the GC is an ESP 16LX someone installed fairly recently to replace two RC 12's and 4 remaining RC 12's Two of these RC's are acting like they could give up at any time (advance motor runs slow, hangs when turning manually; nice LOUD grinding as they run, etc.) My sprinklers are setup in banks of 4 valve in head RB51DR rotors PER zone. Factory new, the 51DR has an inrush usage of .43amps and holds at .23amps. The RC's were rated for 3+MV or 4 valves per zone (2.1 amps with circuit break at 3 amps). Now that the RC's are discontinued, what controller out there will fire 4 solenoids consistently? Realize that these are not new either. A majority of these solenoids are mid 90's for date code/install.
    BTW, the ESP is running my greens and tees and only firing one and in a few cases two solenoids at a time. The other four clocks run fairways.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hunter's ICC claims capability of running five valves at a time, but that is next to "24VAC @ 1.4 A" so your mileage may vary. The one certain solution in situations like these is to buy small 24VAC relays, one for each zone, and a separate 24VAC transformer to power the valves. Then the controller only powers the relay coils, and the relays power the valves.
  3. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

What if you could find some new RCs? That would solve the problem for at least another 15 to 20 years. I'm going to check with my supply houses to see if they are still around here. That tornado must be dominating the news there. Really sad.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can always keep an RC running. New motors can be had. Or Go shopping at eBay for spare parts. I might look into the relay thing, if I have to replace a controller on an old Imperial Valve installation, and RC controllers aren't a solution. You can still find 40VA stepdown transformers.