Controller too small - wiring 2

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Looked at a job today that the guy wants to add more zones onto. Original installer seems as though he was a bit short sighted.

- 9 zone controller, 9 zones used.
    - 13 wire cable run from controller (in garage) thru finished basement, outside to valve box.

They ran water supply pipe out to the area for future expansion, they also ran wire out to the area. However, the controller is already using all spaces, plus the 13 wires running out to the first (main) valve box is going to only allow 3 additional zones of capacity.

The area will likely take 4 or 5.

What are my choices, and what's the best, in your opinion?

I'm assuming I will have to have a larger controller.

I'm fairly new and haven't ran into this before.

Thanks

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

If it's not a modular controller you will have to replace it and if there is not enough wires you will have to run more. Should be a good money job.:)

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good Candidate for a ESP-16LX.

Or a 12LX if you are certain he won't expand again.

[​IMG]

4. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

switch to mprotators, and double the size of your zones, and run them each twice as long.

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I would put a timer in simlar to a PRO-C and just ran an additional wire from the garage wall out and then through the beds to the POC on the outside of the house or where the boxes are going to go.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

New controller with 2-wire capability?

7. Dirt Boy-Redisign the whole yard as if you were putting in a complete new system and go from there. Pressure test, flow test the whole nine yards and then you can back out what has been done and you will be comfortable with what needs to be done. Avoid turning this into a kludge. If he (the customer) is happy with the current system I would avoid retrofitting it to create new zones.

8. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Some alternate outerspace suggestions. Maybe good ideas, maybe not. Someone will say if these are not good.

What if... you *ADD* a 6 zone controller and run 2 controllers?

Less cost to the customer, although it makes zone scheduling setup a little tricky. You could start the new zones at 11:00PM and then the old zones at 3:00AM to insure no overlap.

You either (1) have to run some extra wire out there or (2) use two of those unused wires in the original wireset to send the 28VAC power out there and mount an outdoor 6 zone controller that is protected/concealed within the landscaping.

9. Double clocks are the beginning of a kludge.

10. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

2 controlers?....lol
    Get a doubler and add your zone wire to an existing zone.
    By adding 1 doubler would be very cost effective.