Controlling a Belt Drive W/B in the Wet?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PastyWhite, Jul 10, 2006.

1. PastyWhite

PastyWhite LawnSite Member
    from Jax, FL

We finally got some good rain Friday and I had to finish 1 yard in the rain and drive back to the garage in the rain also so all of our equipment got wet. I had to go back out Saturday morning to cut 2 lawns that I didn't get to on Friday. The lawns were pretty wet and my mower was driving me crazy. It refused to turn left and would barely turn right. I ride a sulky and I had to get off and push turn it after every stripe.

I've read on here that belt drives suck when they get wet but I wanted to make sure that there isn't anything wrong with my mower. It's a 36" Exmark Metro HP. I'm pretty new to the biz and this is actually the first time I've used it in the rain so I just want to know if what I experienced is normal.

Thanks!

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Belts getting wet and slipping is a somewhat normal experience. Our old Toro can be a real dog once the belts get wet and grass builds up on the pullys ect. Only real way to get away from the problem is to go hydro. We did and what a difference.

3. PastyWhite

from Jax, FL

My next mower will definitely be a hydro but I didn't want to invest a ton up front so I figured a used belt drive would be a good way to save a few bucks. The mower is fantastic but man it was crazy in that rain.

4. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, belt drives are a good way to go when not looking to spend alot of money. I first bought a OLD 44" Toro proline WB. We still use it somewhat, however it has been replaced with a 48" Hustler wb.

Its good for to occasional "brush mowings". Its bulletproof. Besides I wouldnt do such a thing to the beautiful Hustlers. ...lol

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

ive got a metro and i have used it in every possible condition (really dry to pouring rain) and have never had any problems in the rain at all. We have pretty much the same mower except for size and style of deck but our drive system is the same. But, i never have any problems

6. PastyWhite

from Jax, FL

Hmm. I haven't used the mower since Saturday b/c I'm only part time right now. I don't cut again until tomorrow. If it isn't turning right after its dry any ideas what the problem could be? The left turns were much worse than the rights and it's ecs controls and the left handle seems to be a little harder to pull in than the right. It worked fine the night before.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

belt wear possibly, they don't always wear evenly, how old is the mower?

8. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

check to make sure that the set screws that hold the drive pulleys on the shaft havnt lostened causing it to slide and bind

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

This is why gravely put 16" tires on there belt drive. It helps keep the pulleys out of the wet.

10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

my scag handles good.... i get that problem when its time to replace the belts