Controlling Behavior of People with Elevated Landscape Care

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mdvaden, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wrote a new web page article tonight. About changing the behavior of people through maintenance of grounds or landscaping. Actually, I had a similar page a few years ago, and forgot why I removed it. But the principles are so important, it seemed worth repeating.

Here's the text:

2. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting observation. I can see where it applies.

Some may say it's just the "pressure" of keeping up with the Joneses that may change the neighbors' behavior. No body wants to have the worst landscape on the block. Raise the standard while raising the expectation.

3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

What really brought this concept to mind recently, was doing a consultation for a motel in Grants Pass, Oregon.

The grounds and rooms looked so nice, I thought that it must have a positive on the attitude of the gals who clean the rooms.

Someone could walk away from each room with pride and satisfaction.

Compared to the maids or whatever the job title is, who clean at, say, the Motel 6 in Eureka, CA, where the rooms are showing wear and the blacktop dominates the inconspicuous lawn and stuff.

Here's a glimpse of the Redwood Motel, for example.

Even the hard boiled eggs were shelled already and wrapped for convenience. And the coffee pots were ready to serve coffee all day long. Reminded me of when and why I enjoyed working at a certain country club back in the 1980's.

redwood_motel_780.jpg

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know if you can control behavior with landscaping. But it can definitely put someone in a more positive frame of mind. Nice surroundings, whether indoor or out make for a better experience. So i think that your paper is very accurate.

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT