1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Controlling bentgrass in bluegrass home lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Sep 19, 2004.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Need help in controllling creeping bentgrass invading a kentucky bluegrass lawn. Chicago area.
  2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Thats a tough one Mike, I find bent to be my biggest " weed " problem in my area. I sell alot of round up/slice seed treatments, usually I do 2 round up treatments 10-14 days apart, then I slice seed over all the dead spots.

This works great for the first few years but the bent keeps creeping ( pun intended ) back in. I explain this to all customers

Its just another example of us trying to fool mother nature,
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Watch for Certainty - probably be out next year. Testing and certification by govt agencies is done; only thing left is a little more testing and marketing. Aka MON 44951 and Batallion during last few years while in testing. A.I. is sulfosuron, and it will be a control for poa trivialis and, if I remember right, quackgrass.

There is a chance sulfosuron will also be able to be used for selective control of bentgrass in KBG. It will stress KGB in fall apps, but hammer the bent. (Poa triv control will need to be a summer app, to not stress the KBG.) Rates and timing are still being worked on to determine if bent control can be on label later.

Also, probably about two years out is mesotrione - no label name set yet. It will finally be a control for nimblewill, as well as dallisgrass and crabgrass.

For basic cultural control of bentgrass in a KBG lawn, consider a flail powerraking in early spring. Bent is stoloniferous, and the powerraking will tear up a lot of new stolons from fall growth. Then the KBG, which starts active growth earlier than bent in spring, has a chance to fill in, before bent becomes active. I used this spring powerraking in one lawn, after killing and sodding solid bent patches, and the bent was kept from reforming solid patches for the 7 years I maintained it. All lawns in the area have bent incursion (near a golf course), but my lawn always stood out. Bent was there, but you had to look for it.