Controlling Bull Thistle

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Doogiegh, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

What's the best way to control Milk Thistle. I believe I have this identified correctly, I know that the weed HURTS to pull cause of all these super-small glass-like stickyl thorns that even go thru gloves. I know that you can hand-pull them, but unless you get the root in it's entireity, they come back real quick.

One catch. The thisle is mixed in with my friends tomato garden. So a flat out chemical spray is not advised. Is there anything else
    to do, or just suck it up and hand pull them?

PS - This is for a co-worked friend of mine, not me. I say flat out that I am not licensed to apply and I do not apply any chemicals or weed control. Just trying to answer a question for her. Thanks
  2. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

My first thought was Stinger...................

My second thought is real tough leather gloves.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

PULL or spot with ROundup, tomatoes and something you eat and are senstiive to pesticiedes. Also, be careful not kill the tomatoes. Make sure you have ID it right, there are several, and the treatmetns can be very differnt.

In a garden, you have to think about pesticies, end use, and consumption.

5. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I know that the garden is a real sensitive area as far as pesticides go.. That's why I was wondering if there was any other way to knock off the pain in the butt weeds (actually regular weeds don't bother me, but the ones like thistle suck).