convenience or great machine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JCW-G, Nov 29, 2004.

1. JCW-G

JCW-G LawnSite Member

I understand that when buying equipment you need to buy from a dealer that's both prompt and is close enough to get parts in a timely manner but,what if the dealer that is close by only sells a brand that you are not interested in buying?
    And the dealer that sells many different brands is 45+ miles away.

Do you sacrific convenience for quality and perhaps price?

The problem is,alot of our exports are leaving the country.We need to deal with that first.
    George W Bush,
    Sept.14,2002

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in the same boat almost. But its not 45 miles away. I still deal with the closer guy buts its because i can walk in there and they will drop everything if i have a problem. I think if you keep your equipment in good shape then it shouldnt be a problem. BTW what manufactures are you talking about?

3. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I travel to my dealer that is an hour away, and Im have a lot of dealers close to me. This guy handles Toro and JD and is absolutely great with service. I get Demos from him all the time just to let him know my thoughts on them. Never a question about warrenty work and trust him completly. I have moved around with this guy for years when I was in business before and will stay.
    Find a good dealer that you can trust that handles quality products and stay with them. They are worth the trouble.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter if the dealer is next door to your house...it does you no good if he sells K-mart brand machinery, or some brand that you are not interested in. you have to pretend that he is not even there, because that is basically wher you are at on the matter. Oh, you might be able to use hime somewhere down the line for generic type parts, such as belts or something, but there are always better places to buy even those. If you have researched the productws, And have arrived at a conclusion of products that you like and dislike; and products that are suitable for your needs and products that aren't, then you know your needs. If store A doesn't have YOUR needs, then you need to go elsewhere..sometimes that means some distance.

5. JCW-G

JCW-G LawnSite Member

Actually, the dealer that is close to me sells both Ferris and Exmark.Another dealer about the same distance (12-15 miles) sells JD. Around here everybody uses Ferris. Of the three I'm not sure which is the best brand.

6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally id take JD and Exmark over Ferris and id take Exmark over both of them. JMO though

7. JCW-G

JCW-G LawnSite Member

After doing some searching for dealers around me (within reasonable distance) I learned the farm equipment supply dealership about 15 miles from me sells: SCAG and KUBOTA.this dealer has ALOT of business and they have 8-10 machanics on duty at any given time. So, now I need to decide between SCAG,KUBOTA,FERRIS,EXMARK.JD.All of the dealers are no more than 20 miles from me.I live in a rural area so I will be doing residential lawns no bigger than 1 acre.

I won't say that price doesn't matter but,I am willing to spend extra for quality.

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Definately look at the Ferris. There are no other mowers in the world that can compare to them because they have 4 wheel independent suspension which means a smooth ride. A spring/shock combination on the front wheels reduces shock to the chassis and operator and combined with rear wheel suspension, shock is virtually eliminated. You would have to demo the machine to know what i'm talking about. They really aren't that much higher than anything else but well worth it IMO so check them out. You'll be glad you did.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

You have a nice selection. As others have rightly pointed out the bulk of these machines are very commercial, and compareable qualty wise. You will be able to get a great machine from any of the manufacurers. I would suggest that you talk to some of the cutters in your area to find out who gives great service. Whether you get an exmark, Ferris, or Deere, is not likely that important, find the dealer who will bend over backward for you. Even if his machines are a bit more expensive go with the best service. Talk to the dealers, and as many people as you can so you can feel comfortable with your decision. I have went through this for years buying on price, or buying because from a friend who owned a dealership. I now buy from the guy who takes care of me best!

Good luck

10. JCW-G

JCW-G LawnSite Member

Thanks Travis,
    I will be sure to check out Ferris. I saw their web-site but,nothing is like trying it yourself.
    Thanks Again
    jcw-g