conversation and a gripe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Bad Bob, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

You mow a lawn you have had for years. First mow of the season so there is a little leaf cleanup along the fence. You blow along the fence-line, being careful not to spread the leaves too much, out into the yard so the mower can turn them to dust.
    You finish up, get the equipment loaded up and you notice a small wrinkled lady in a blue house coat standing on the neighbors' deck. She call's me over. I knew it was a pita by the look of scorn she had on her face. Never met the lady before.
    She began ranting about how we blew a few leaves through the fence onto her yard. I asked what she wanted (trying to be diplomatic) and she wanted me to blow those leaves, which incidentally came from her own raggedy trees, back through the fence. I thought about it and just said ok and walked to the back of her yard with the blower. 6 inches of leaves covered her back yard. I simply walked along the fence with the blower on idle and let any loose leaves go through the fence. if they were small enough, they went through chain link.
    Told the lady that if she could point out which leaves blew through, I would gladly remove them. I also told her that I won't clean her yard for free just because a couple of leaves may have come through the fence.
    Did I do that right? I mow that yard weekly.
  2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

If you did blow leaves through the fence, its your responsibility to pick them up. That said, if she had leaves in her yard, pitching a fit about accidentally blowing a couple more into her yard is pretty dumb. I'm sure you've met a bunch of crazies in our line of work already, just add her to the list.

The only reason she should have said anything is if you blew leaves into her pristine lawn, in which case I would have probably been upset as well.
  3. Big Bad Bob

from zone 5

I have accidentally gotten a few leaves on a neighbors cleaned yard and I always ask permission to go on their property to collect that debris. I doubt many leaves actually got through the fence. And with 800 feet of fence-line, you won't see me out there with a rake.
  4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you handled it well.
  5. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

I think you are OK.
  6. Big Bad Bob

from zone 5

She'll probably just watch us like a hawk, every week, for a while. I don't care. She's not paying me a dime.
    And I'm not sure she's playing with a full deck.............all due respect.
  7. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you were respectful... which is all that counts here. If you blew a few over, sounds like you picked them up. Sounds like another old lady with nothing better to do, in love with "her" leaves but won't take a single leaf from the yard next door. That always cracks me up......
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

People like this old lady are truly pitiful. I think you handled things well but look at the big picture. She is worrying about a few leaves on top of SIX inches of leaves in her yard,,,WTF..... I could see if she had been out there and had the yard clean but what purpose did this old crab have in mind by calling this to your attention. She is living a pitiful existence and is obviously miserable and is pissed because you made her neighbors yard look nice and hers is a mess.
    I credit you for being diplomatic and I would probably do the same but inside I would really like to tell a person like this to ... well I should be nice. Take care.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I think you did fine. I always try to still be nice unless someone starts cursing at me or blaming me for something that I clearly did not do just to be a jerk. Like I said though, I usually try to humor them, not because you want them as a customer, but you don't want them badmouthing you to other potential good customers.
  10. Big Bad Bob

from zone 5

Plus, I think most of the leaves that blew were already on her side against the fence, They were piled higher on her side than mine so I probably just disturbed her leaves.
    Maybe I violated the leaves' civil rights.:walking: