Conversation with Griswold Controls

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just a connection to that "cold weather" 2000 series valve. I did see a few systems that were trenched and pitched to drain back to a basement, only the valves were globe valves with large wheel handles that were operated with a Champion valve key.

2. I assume the were pitched back to make for easy winterization?

3. Inspired

Inspired LawnSite Senior Member

Whats a basement?

4. Wet_Boots

Yep. Some of these systems never again saw a pro after they were installed. One of them I was called to work on had stationary spray heads on brass nipples, and the needed fix was to swap out nipples with longer ones, to raise the sprays. Other needed repairs might be for the globe valves needing new washers. (I soon learned they weren't really easy to take apart, even if I did have an oversized washer that might fit)

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

hey peter i'm just pondering this statement: Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
    As for Leary opening the MV before turning on any zones doesn't seem too wise to me. You want a zone open with the MV opening or use a NO and leave the mainline charged at all times

isn't the correct way to use a nc mv is to open the mv before the zone valve and close it afterward? this would keep the supply line full at all times wouldn't it? i always thought the mv was a safety to" check" damage/failure issues.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Go figure. So how many threads, posts, and personally insulting insinuation did it take for you to realize this? :dizzy:

But wait ... I have no knowledge, experience or common sense .... well at least according to you. :rolleyes:

Also, I am in agreement with the others here with respect to MV and zone valves. I'll also add, if I am not mistaken, solenoid valves require water pressure to work. How will a valve downstream of a master valve operate without water pressure present?

BTW ... you do realize you contradicted yourself again. First you say the Griswold rep walked you though how their valves are able to avoid your "20%" issue .... then you say the "20%" still exists. Which is it Pete, and is it even "20%"? Can we rely on you to accurately report your conversation, or it this another case of your twisting the facts and putting words in peoples mouths to suit your purpose .... like you pricing comments or other misleading comments?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You realize the DWS series uses the same metering pin .... right?

8. Wet_Boots

I never encountered that line in the field. The systems with the Griswold 2000 valves were one firm's work, and always with golf-course-type rotors, either Thompson Turf Commanders or Rainbird cast-iron-case impact heads. I forget what the controllers were. Maybe Tork.

9. This is what I said. Try to read more carefully and not glance over things in an irritated mood.

Griswold is in a class of its own.

So we agree that short pipes, branching, elbows, pre or mostly filled lines, less than 5fps are all great safeguards against water hammers. When all else fails use a Griswold. Works for me.

10. Assuming the line is already charged. Once the MV is open and air has been flushed then you can shut down the zone valve and check the mainline for leaks. Just my thing. Being overly cautious I guess.