Conversation with Griswold Controls

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Should I summarize everything?

i will say this though Rocky the Griswold Rep was an interesting and good guy. Has a long history in the Industry (40 years) back to early HARDIE days and prior to that some. Was part of the initial SIGNATURE CONTROLS group. Unfortunately I was talking to him on a cell while he was driving across the Nevada desert so we lost contact a few times. I know the pin and the way it is cut is very important. He says when it gets down to the last part of the closure you can actually hear the water shhhhhing through right before the close. Absolutely no slam. They have gotten much more active on the HVAC side of things but with the same valve design principles. Always a good thing to follow up on queries. Never know where they will lead or who you'll meet. He's going to come by and visit my booth at the show. Now every other valve out there follows a very similar design. Slight variations but in general unless somebody has a valve they want to bring up follow the 80/20 rule as described by Jess Stryker.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you can provide closing speed and position specs and/or empirical data for every valve on the market, your opinion is nothing more than wild unsubstantiated assumption.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ask him if he can connect the dots with Signature and Thompson and Rain-O-Mat

4. Well you clearly have made some valve decisions based on this issue why don't you share them with us.

5. Actually now that you mention it he brought up Thompson. Was also very active in sales with Rain-Jet as well.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think not, have things to do, but I'll give you a 5 for the avoidance attempt.

I will however give you this opinion. It is physically impossible for you to be a civil human being and treat other professionals with respect when they have a dissenting opinion or point out problems with your posted information and/or flaws in your logic.

BTW Pete ... I did share my valve decisions with you .... hence the Griswold. Yesterday you were basically slamming the Griswold valves and me for using them .... now you are holding the Griswold valve up like a champion. Amusing ..... isn't it?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  7. Wet_Boots

Thompson heads were almost scary. Size of a Minipaw, weight of a bowling ball.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Are there other valves out there with no spring for the diaphragm besides the Greenlawn?

9. I'm amused. I don't think I ever slammed Griswold but I'll go back and look. My only complaint about Griswold is the great mass of irrigators aren't using them so they are a red herring in a discussion on water hammers. Can they be used as a solution? Absolutely. For discussion here though we are talking RB Hunter Irritrol Toro WMTIC. If one of those brands has advantages on water hammer issues I'd sure like to know about it. My experience is they are all about the same. So what percentage of your valve installs are Griswold?

10. Wet_Boots

Toro Flo-Pro :(