conversion factor

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BLL, Jun 22, 2003.

1. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

What is the conversion of tons to yards of stone...???
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the stone but around 1.3 to 1.5 tons/yd.
  3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know the answer, but I think you will need to list what kind of stone it is.

Different rock should have different density - especially granite.

Also, if I recall, the smaller the aggregate, the more the air space.

Meaning, pea gravel will have more air space in a cubic yard than 4" river rock.

Sand should have more air space than gravel.

I'm fairly sure the latter is right. But feel free to double check my recollection.
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

mdvaden - It's the other way around. Smaller stuff fits together better so there is LESS air space.
  5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought it may be the other way around, but am not totally sure.

Take one single rock for example and stick it in a bucket. Now crack that rock in half. It will have air gaps that did not exist before.

My soil textbook from college also indicates that clay soil has more pore space than sand. The clay is smaller, and it would seem it should fit tighter, but it does not.

Clay is slower draining because of how tiny the pores are, but it still has greater volume of void air space.

So with the clay, I can find it in writing.

With rock, I'm guessing. Only so many boulders can fit in a truck bed. If one rock in a bed was cracked, it could then fill a void between others, but in doing so, more gaps were caused between fragments that used to be a solid with no air space.

I guess I'd need to see a weight table to be sure. Or go down to the rock yard and wiegh out the different size rock of the same kind in the same volume.
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

7. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

stone for this job is Cr-6 so its got a lot of powder and such in it. Maybe im missing something but i dont see a conversion on that website for what im lookin for....???? Thanks for the other answers guys. From some price lists i have it seems that its around 2 tons per yard since a ton is approx. 10.00 and a yard is approx 20.00 but then again the nursery's are selling in yards and the gravel pits are in tons so im sure the pits are cheaper.
  8. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Concrete is the heaviest construction I know of, it weighs in at around 4,000 # per yard. Our base material for pavers and walls is pretty dense, it weighs in around 3,500 # per yard. All other stone in the yard weighs less. We order and pay by the weight not the yard.

9. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

what type of material are you using for base that weighs that much? Cr-6 is pretty common around here for it the same stuff or something else you use?
  10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I just got 2500lbs of a #6 granite the other day and that was just under a yard. So i would say around 3000 lbs roughly.