Conversion for lbs. to cu. yds. for rock and pricing

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Brown's LC & L, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Brown's LC & L

Brown's LC & L LawnSite Member

I am doing the first bid for a client who wants rock instead of mulch. They're also wanting to apply new barrier. I'm trying to figure out how to determine how much rock I'll need and the price to charge. I have my square footage already. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

2. Brown's LC & L

Is there a way to convert pounds to cu. yds.? I know how to figure on mulch, the rock is throwing me for a loop though. Thanks again.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not really, because there is so much variation. Yes, different types of rocks weigh more and less than each other, but also, the size of the rocks (because of displacement of space between them) would make a huge difference. For instance, a yd. of 4" rocks are going to weigh more than a yard of 15" rocks.
    What size of rock does your customer want? 4a? 6a? These are usually sold by the yard, anyway. Even some of the larger stuff, if you were to call the aggregate dealer, I'm sure they could tell you better about this. Another thing,...perhaps if you posted this on the Landscape forum (if you haven't already).

4. Brown's LC & L

Thanks Joe. I thought I was in the right place, I'll re-post it. Thanks for the info!

5. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

U probably want 1.5" washed stone for beds. just figure the yards you would need just the same as you would mulch and then ask them for that many yards. even if they sell it by the ton they know what a yard is when there loading it. Don't over think this, it's really simple. a yard of stone in there bucket is a yard of stone in the bed.

6. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

standard figure for processed/crusher run stone products is:

1.33 tons per cubic yard.