1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Convert pickup to flatbed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Smitty58, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking about converting my truck to a flatbed. I know there are a couple people here who have done this ,but what are the pros and cons of doing this. I've looked at stock beds and talked to a fabricator about building one. Before I pull the trigger on this I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

Truck is a 05 F-350 SRW

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Go with a prefab body on a SRW to save weight on your overall GVW. A fabricator will build it overkill and you loose weight hauling capacity. Put a hoist under it while your at it, makes life much easier.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would probably go with a aluminum bed it will save some weight and probably be cheaper. Plus aluminum is maintenace free no painting to deal with.

4. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I personally like the Bradford Built flatbeds, lots of them around here. I don't know how easy it would be to put a hoist under one though, I wish at least one of my flatbeds had a hoist.