1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Converti ng a Single axle dump to tandems

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Just need to find someone to put a new tag on it. Not a big deal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

I just did ours this winter, and I'd say your $2000 estimate is darn close. Not sure how much "bottom end" work would need to be done for bad liners though.......

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Huh, I would have guessed you to be very knowledgeable on "bottom end" work.

4. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say it depends on what you want out of it. If you need a tandem you're better off buying a tandem. If you'd be happy grossing an extra 5-7 tons, spending money at the upfitters might not be a bad thing. All depends on what you need and how long your gonna keep it and how much your willing to sink into the truck.

ShortTandem1.JPG

ShortTandem1.JPG

5. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

6. hvy 1ton

Should have mentioned it's not mine, but i was in a bit of a hurry. The guy that owns it has had it for almost 3 years and it's his main truck. He spent a couple years looking for a truck either setup like this or one he could add a drop to so i'd assume he like it pretty well.

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

btw whats the heaviest gvw rating available on single axles? I think I've only seen 36k. Our local muni's use alot of International Workstar 74 & 7600's with single axles because of the suburbs. They are huge and they load the heck out of them.

8. hvy 1ton

There was a 4wd western start that got sent out west that had 20k/23k axles. Drifts get pretty big when there aren't any trees. County has couple 16k/23k trucks but they can only legal 36k here.

9. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

I think you've got "bottom end" and "rear end" all mixed up in your head...........:)

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

well the truck is sold. so now I need to know about the big trucks and whats what with those. Brand. What do I want for motor as theres such a range in the 20-25 ton payload trucks. 250-450hp.