Converti ng a Single axle dump to tandems

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Apr 29, 2013.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

2. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

4 seasons I dont think you can go wrong with anything 350 hp plus with cat,cummins or paccar. The 8LL trans is great for a dump truck also if you haul boulders, rip rap and shot rock you might consider a dump body with (AR400 steel). Show us some pictures of trucks you have in mind.

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Thanks, wow those 2 older trucks are cheap cheap down south. Those are about the size I like. Really like that sterling tri. I want to stay away from the really big tri's with the big high side boxes, long length etc. want 20 ton legal payload. Hills, we got em'. Towing, maybe 15 tons plus at least a partial load in the box or the rare rental of a dozer or 160 could be as much as 25 tons with trailer.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Also Im not sure on how nice/expensive of a truck I should get. Im not doing trucking or excavation and I'll only do like 5000 mi a year on it. But I don't want to put a quick 15-20k into a truck worth 20k right after buying it.

5. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought it was great with a 13 speed, ain't much you couldn't pull with that many gears.