Convertible Mower...Who Has One?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Feb 10, 2005.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Who has the Convertible Mower?

If you do have one, is it the new wheel motor style which came out in 2004?

How do you like it?

Would you recommend one and why?

Thanks

2. dmc456

Anyone use one of these?

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the convertable mower is close, but is not, a commercial machine. if it's going to be my main mower it better be reliable.

4. dmc456

So do you own a Convertible? Have you ever used one?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you do a search for Rich Convertible you will find a few threads about them. I think the general thoughts have been that it isn't worth looking at.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

There were sold by a few hardware stores in my area but I have never seem one used. I looked at one but I wouldn't us one for commercial use or even homeowner use.

The seat looks literally like a 4 leg metal chair and it sits directly over the engine. Their is no springs in the chair so thas is going to be a very rough ride. I don't what to sit directly over an engine. That is all I know about them.

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It's actually a retractable hard-top.

If you remove the sun shade, it is a convertible.

8. dmc456

Again, has anyone actually used one and if so what did you think?

9. Quirks Lawn Grooming

Quirks Lawn Grooming LawnSite Member

I have used the Convertible since 1996. I purchased the second one in 2000. Great mower. Rich Manufacturing has revamped many items on the mowers since the 1996 model. Replaced hydro pump on the first unit last year with 2500 plus hours, then the other side this year at 3000 hours. Have replaced engine after 2000 hours. Beyond that the usual belts, electyric clutches, batteries, etc. They have been great to work with. I use the aerator attachment every fall. The hydro system was revised last year and should be on all current models. It is more efficient than mine. Buy the discharge attachment as it makes mowing around beds much simpler.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They have come a long way. I'd like to demo one of the new ones with the pump and wheel motors.
    John