Converting 17hp Kawi to electric clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by IRRITECH, Dec 28, 2007.

1. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Have a 52" W/B with a blown motor. I have a working FH500V-BS06 17hp Kawasaki. Need to add a regulator to engage the electric clutch. Anyone done this??

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

IF the engine doesn't have a regulator, I'd wonder if the charging system on it is adequate to power an electric clutch.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The engine in question from the factory had no stator under the flywheel and no magnets inside the flywheel therefore there is nothing to plug a regulator into.

It could cost as much or a little more than 300 bux to convert this engine over to run a PTO clutch buying new parts.

What brand engine is the blown one (#'s) ?

4. IRRITECH

BLown engine is a Briggs Vanguard

Model # 294777
    Type 0108-01 4952
    code 900220011

Engine runs but "pops" spitting gas out of the carb. Full throttle under load, smoke and pops badly

5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

that briggs is not "blown" you need to check the flywheel key,then its on to the carb.sounds like it could be fixed cheaply

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I'd also check the head gaskets.

7. Restrorob

Heck, May as well add;

Check the valves first, A non closing intake valve (sticking/out of adjustment) will cause popping and spit fuel out of the carb.....

8. IRRITECH

allright, Took ya'lls advice and pulled the engine off and took it apart. Now remember, the guy who sold me the mower ($400) said that his mechanic told him the engine was shot.

Cylinder #1 - Plug electodes were mashed together. No apparent damage to piston. looks like the plug was dropped before install and not checked. This could cause the misfiring.

Cylinder #2 - Broken rocker arm on exhaust valve.

Head gaskets looked fine but will be replaced anyway. $20 worth of parts. When I get it back together I'll let you know.

9. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like you are going to get off pretty cheap!!! Good luck!!!

10. Restrorob

Ya gotta wonder how some of these places stay in business....:dizzy: