Converting 19hp Kaw 601v to a 25hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by maxrep12, Apr 11, 2008.

1. maxrep12

maxrep12 LawnSite Member

I purchased a new Wright Stander 19hp Kawasaki 601V. There was an out of state deal on this brand new unit that I couldn't pass up. My dilema is that I need 25hp.

From a reliable source I was told that the 19 - 21 - 23 - 25 hp models are identical with the exception of the carburation jetting. I phoned Kawasaki. Too say they were tight lipped was an understatement.

Has anyone made this jetting conversion? I was also thinking about putting on the canister filter upgrade.

2. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a difference in the carb butterfly opening.
    The easiest and most reliable way to do this is to buy a new 25 HP carb.
    The hard way is to grind to butterfly stop in the carb venturi. I am not sure you actually have to change the jets. They may be the same.

3. maxrep12

maxrep12 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm all for simplicity, so getting a 25 hp carb sounds fine. Is there a web site you might recommend for the item?

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

When you put the canister-style air filter on you need to change out the jets also.
    Just something to be aware of.

5. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

buy the 25 HP carb and swap them

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler used to have identical engines with different hp, and the way they did it was a higher compression ratio for the higher hp, that is, the higher hp had the head milled a little more right from the factory. For me it is hard to believe that a change in carburetion alone can yield a 32% increase in hp, but I'm no expert, just skeptical. But if it will, that is fantastic to know.

7. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I'm even more skeptical about the same engine having more torque by putting on a bigger carb.

8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

That's my opinion too. "If it sounds too good to be true.............etc." And if you do change the carburetor, I have to wonder if you will test or even be capable of testing the result to confirm that you really do get up to 25HP. I have an idea you'll be wasting both your time and money if you try this.

9. rjxj

rjxj LawnSite Member

It seems very unlikely that you can get that much hp with a carb change. I will check it out at work on Monday. I know there are at least three different head gaskets available with different diameters, so there must be different bores.

10. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

This issue as been discussed at length on this forum. Just do a search and you'll find a few treads about this.
    The only difference in parts numbers on the Kaws 19-25 HP is the carburetor.
    If you are unsure, check the parts numbers yourself is the parts catalog for these engines.