Converting a 48” Turf Tracer HP to 36”

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by littlenic, Apr 3, 2004.

1. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

I need some help converting a 48” Turf Tracer HP to 36” . I want the 17hp elec. Start and this seems the only way I can get it is to purchase the 48" and put a 36" deck and other parts on it.

The only other thing I can think of is if anyone has a 36" floating deck from a TTHP or MetroHP that wants to sell or has a bad/blown engine. If anyone has a better idea please let me know.

Thanks for your help before hand. littltnic

2. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I was thinking wouldn't it be easier to buy the 36" with the 15 hp. Take the 15 hp off and replace it with the 17 hp then you could sell the 15 hp and you wouldn't lose as much money.
    Jhawk71

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you own the 48 now?

4. littlenic

I do not currently own the 48" TTHP. I was going the 48 to 36 route because of the wiring/battery etc.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

All you need to do is buy a 36" TTHP & swap the engine w/a 17hp. Just did it. The electric Kaw 17hp can be put on as well but its more complicated. You don't need an electric on the 17 twin Kaw. anyway....waste. Here's a 17hp on a 36" Tracer HP.

36.jpg

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If you are planning on getting through 36" gates, you are going to have to shorten the wheel base.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Better off buying the 36"...if you buy the 48" you need new drive tires & deck & the wheel mounts will stick out past 36.5". The wiring can be done on the 36" but the twin Kaws start so easily you don't need electric unless you have a disability.

8. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Just out of curiosity, why do you need 17hp over the 15hp. Are you using the 36" as a bush hog? If so, I might be able to understand. Otherwise my 36" metro with the 12.5 kohler does great even in high wet grass. There is only so much volume a deck can move and so much power belts can take. Why?

9. littlenic

I had planed on putting a flex deck on a little later on. Thats why I needed the 17 and wanted elec. start for me.

10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I swear that the electric start is worth (about $200) more if it's available as an option on ANY mower. Add up those seconds you spend pull starting your mower.