1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

converting a zero turn momer into a spray/fert rig

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by big valley, Jun 19, 2004.

1. big valley

big valley LawnSite Member

Any help would be appreciated, I have been in the mowing biz for 3 years, I have a 44 in Cub cadet Z force with an 18 hp intek engine. I have recently purchased an Exmark 60. I am wanting to get in to the spraying side of the lawn business. I would like to know from some of you that may have done this or can tell me if it is a waste of time, or just not fesible. Could I convert my cub cadet to a spray rig. My concerns are would the mower support the extra weight, say 15-20 gal tank,plus an electric spreader. or should I just bite the bullet and go for a Z-spray or perma. I am working with a tight budget.
    any suggestions out there, thanks
  2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

bite the bullet, go for the zspray
  3. Buginout

Buginout LawnSite Member

Yes bite the bullet- Z-spray is the only way to go. If you go a head and convert your mower to be spreader/sprayer, after one season it will be a big pile of rust.
  4. Buginout

Buginout LawnSite Member

OH Don't forget to get your PCO Lic.
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Well my MTD pro Z2554 I converted 4 years ago and has performed better than a factory machine. Here is a photo of it with the spray tanks. Also use a 100# fert. spreader on the front. I have used this on some rough and steep areas that a Perma green type machine would never go. You can convert your rider into a sprayer for less than 300 dollars and a fert spreader is about $600 more or less.

6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I've been debating this also. I don't have any mowers but I'm looking for a used ztr to convert. I'm not laying out the huge bucks these guys want for custom made things that seem to have endless problems.

My question is how much is a used ztr worth? Any market for selling the mowing deck off it?
  7. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark 52 I've converted for spraying. It is not a perminant hookup, it sets on and off with 4 bolts allowing it to be used for mowing also. It has a 2.5 GPM pump that is pressure adjustable 0-60 it has a 80" spray width boom, along with a 15 ft. hand hose. I've shot hundreds of gallons of chemicals through it, and it works like a charm. I think I'm into the setup for about $500

I don't think I would buy a Z just for the conversions but if you already have one, for 500 extra they add a tremendious capability to a biz.
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

9. big valley

big valley LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for your replys. This cadet I have doesn't compare with my Exmark, If I can't sell it, I may as well attemp to convert it to a sprayer. Hey (specialtylc) what size tank is that on your rig, I think I could go to a 20-25 gl tank. thanks
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

big valley, I have a MTD Pro Z 2554, I used a 30 gallon spray tank on the back of it mounted above the motor. I ruined the right wheel axle because of the weight. I am still have trouble with it even after I changed the bearing out. I should have stripped some weight off the machine but wanted to use it for cutting too. I took the weight bar off but the damage had already been done, side hills were a killer on the axle bearing.