Converting belt drive to hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by calvarylandscapegroup, Mar 2, 2010.

1. calvarylandscapegroup

calvarylandscapegroup LawnSite Member

Got an interesrting one for you. I have an old bunton 48" walk behind mower I have been trying to sell. This was my first commercial mower and now i am trying to sell it but no luck. So i've pondered the idea " i wonder if i can make this a hydrostatic mower" if this has been done before does anyone know what parts besides the transmission would be needed?
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

It's cheaper to find a donor Hydro mower or used mower.
  3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Unless you have free parts and lots of free time your better off buying a new or used hydro instead.

The mower you can't sell will sell with spring coming. Lower the price if you want it to move faster.
  4. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, that would be a tough one. You're going to need different pulleys for the belt underneath, new handles/rods and remove the brakes. You're going to have to buy hydro pumps, lines, reservoir and wheel motors. No, you will end up spending more than you can get a good used hydro mower for. If you're serious about doing something with it, find a hydro mower with a dead engine and swap the engines out. Otherwise, just leave it be.
  5. Pat'sPerfectLawnService

Pat'sPerfectLawnService LawnSite Senior Member

i was thinking the samething about converting it, but it sounds like is a waste of time and money.
  6. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

All you need is a Flux Capacitor and a warp drive console.
  7. KyLawnscapes

KyLawnscapes LawnSite Member

If its not too old of a bunton like around a early to late 90's you should be able to do it pretty easy if you can find a donor like they said earlier. The deck will bolt to the hydro chassis. This is only if yours is the style where the deck unbolts.
  8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh: That's the same way I turned my Vette into a Duallyvette.