1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Converting boat trailer to utility trailer

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by saktate, Sep 12, 2003.

1. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

My Dad gave me a heavy galvanized boat trailer with 15 inch wheels. It was used to haul a 19 foot glass ski boat. As you know, the crossbeams are "V" shaped to accomodate the boat's hull. I'd like to cut the crossbeams out and replace them to gain ground clearance and convert to utility trailer. Is galvanized C channel available for the crossbeams and what rod should be used for arc welding? Is this a worthwhile project are just another "money pit" ?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You can't weld galvanized metal without removing the zinc coating. Just use regular steel channels and weld them in and paint it with a zinc-rich primer followed by a good rustproof paint. Oh, be careful when welding/cutting galvanized, the fumes are nasty.
  3. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

Now that I've got your "go ahead," I'll pick up some some steel channel from the salvage yards. Thanks, Kim
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

as Grassmechanic said, you have to remove teh zinc coating. i used a grinder last time i welded zinc coated material, the only problem is that when you grind it away it doesn't change colors, so its hard to tell when you're through the zinc, when you start welding you'll know for sure, if its spattering then there is still zinc on it.
  5. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Yes! Be very careful when welding/cutting anything galvanized!!!! The fumes will get into your lungs and crystallize. These fumes are very toxic. I wouldn't weld it unless I had a mask on and was outside.