Converting cubic feet to square feet

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Diamond Cut Landscaping, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Diamond Cut Landscaping

Diamond Cut Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have a small mulch job ... the area is about 384 square feet. Ill be buying the mulch by bag rather then a truckload. Amount of mulch per bag is 2 cubic feet, how do I determine how many bags I will need for 384 square feet?

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

There are 13.5 bags in a yard. It takes 1 cubic yard to cover about 100 SF at 3-4 inches deep. You'll need about 4 yards or 54 bags to cover 384 SF.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

384 x .25 for cubic feet at 3"
    384 x .16 for cubic feet at 2"

if you want cubic yards you divide the result of the above equations by 27

Derek

4. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

Why not truck it? I can put 3 yards on mine easy enough..

5. Diamond Cut Landscaping

from NY

On average what would 3-4 yards of red mulch cost? I know it will vary depending on location. Each bag of mulch will cost roughly $3.50, which overall will be more then the customer wants to pay. Trucking it will be more time consuming because the area being mulched is in the far right corner of a completely fenced in yard, have to wheel-barrel it all!!!

Also this isn't a complete mulch job, I will be mulching over already existing mulch ...

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I only use bagged mulch myself. I figured the cost of handling and waste and bags are just easier to use. As far as the red mulch goes, is it treated mulch? Or is it ground up pallets? If not treated then I would not use it around a house as it would attract termites.

We can still get the red in bags for $2.20 here!

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Diamond Cut Landscaping

from NY

PERFECT! THANK YOU!

The bed meausres 16x24 which equals 384 sq ft.

According to one of the calculators 384 sq ft. at 1.5" deep is 48 cubic feet, each bag is 2 cubic feet so I'd only need 24 bags ... sound right? Probably a couple extra bags just in case.