1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Converting open to closed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kc2006, May 30, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone converted an open trailer to a closed trailer? I was looking at closed trailers around here and at my buddies closed trailer for his race car. From what i saw all the trailers are just plywood inside with angle iron around the edges for strength and then aluminum sheeting on the outside.

I have a 14x7 trailer now and it would be easier if it were enclosed so i could leave everything in it but I'd live with buying a shed and putting everything in it at night if i had to instead of buying an enclosed trailer if this isn't possible to do. Pics would be good if anyone has done this too.
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you have a secure place to park trailer at night/weekends/when you're away, an enclosed trailer should not be thought of as an equipment safe. Those that want to will get in, and plan for the opportunity if they see a trailer at a usual spot for long enough.

Converting the trailer - Unless you have a good (cheap) source for materials, buying an enclosed trailer is a much better idea.
    Sub frame is usually built better in the first place too.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I built an enclosed "area" on a open trailer once. We took the front half of an 16 footer and enclosed it using the same methods. I have a metal shop next to me so i can get materials (alot was there scrap) for cheap. Came out pretty well. We used it for small materials and equipment, changing area, office, kind of a catch all on our install trailer. We still had room for our straw shooter and other equipment on the open rear.

I will see if I have a picture of it somewhere.
  4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

cool thanks.

Theres a place in town that had the aluminum and angle iron really cheap so materials aren't going to be that much plus i'd do all the work myself. i just wanted to see if it were possible and worth it or not.