converting to Kawisakia, will this motor fit???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

well i just answered my own earlier post by looking on alamia they are alot cheaper than jthomas, now my question is, how do i find out if the KAWASAKI 17.0 hp OHV V-Twin Engines FH500V
    will replace my Kohler cv15T SPEC 41581 S/N 2823019011 motor? i'm refering to it having some crankshaft dimensions etc to replace w/ no problem....thanks alot

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Look up your old motor (using the engine model #) and look up the crankshaft size, then make sure you use THAT as the reference to the Kawi. The crank size is the determining factor in the compatability of these. That is why many times, you may have two or three different models of what APPEAR to be the same motor. Also some will have electric start and others won't. These model #'s vary by an added letter, usually. You know, as I think about it, are you SURE you want to go with the Kawi over the new Kohler? They've done alot of improving!

[Edited by Runner on 04-22-2001 at 10:36 PM]

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Have you scrolled down to the bottom and checked out the middle banner for Roy Padgett's Small Engine Warehouse? He has some darn good prices and has 10,000 engines in stock.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The pulleys will fit unless the engine you are replacing is <i>real</i> old. Kawi, Kohler and B&S have been using the same length and diameter crankshaft size for a long time on mid-sized engines so that the engines would be easily interchangeable. Don't forget to put anti-seeze on the crank prior to installing the pulley(s).

5. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Check with Tim at Small Engine Warehouse. He has ALL the answers. The motor I got in Feb. is doing great.

6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Does your Scag have an eletric clutch? This makes a difference when ordering an engine I think.

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the crank diameter and length may be the same, but also check your bolt circles, and your pulley setup. some keyways that lock the pulley are different. dave

8. crs

crs LawnSite Member

If you have an electric clutch the new engine must have an alternator or generator built into it. Also, the wiring harness on your mower will probably have to be modified to hook up to the different engine. Let us know if you run into any thing else.

Good Luck!!!

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The engine from Alamia comes with a charging coil for the electric clutch.